Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Perfect Day for Halloween!

A Perfect Day for Halloween is a set show for me down in Vernon, Indiana. Of course the theme was anything Fall or Halloween themed.

My father recently went in for emergency open heart surgery (triple bypass). His health has always been at 100%, so it was quite shocking and stressful to see him down and out in a hospital bed. During the long nights when he was in the hospital, I wanted to create something that meant something to me personally and how I felt at this moment. But I also knew that I wanted to enter my next work into the Fall/Halloween themed Perfect Day showing...

TELL-TALE

16x20 Acrylic on Canvas
$165

Immediately Edgar Allen Poe's dark story "The Tell-Tale Heart" came to mind for my inspiration. First I painted the floorboards around the opening containing the living heart. I made the heart glow with gold and copper acrylic paint and surrounded it with drops of "blood"/ink--giving away where it was hidden among the floorboards.
My opinion, it might not be my most technical work, but it certainly means a lot to me.


AUTUMN MIST

16x20 Acrylic on Canvas
$185

In September, the Southport Artistry Committee began a new tradition--SoArt After Hours. I figured I would work on a piece for the Perfect Day show while I was enjoying social time with my artist friends. I had a lot of stress going on at the time, with a job I was unhappy with, my dad in the hospital, and my boyfriend having intense back pains. I just let the emotions flow out of me as I created this with an acryllic wash and ink droplets, which I have titled "Autumn Mist"

No comments:

Post a Comment